Natural Gas Sweetening
CO2 is commonly found in natural gas. In order to meet pipeline specifications or other application specific requirements, the CO2 has to be removed. In addition, there may also be H2S and H2O present that needs to be removed. Membranes have been widely used for CO2 removal applications and come with the added benefit of removing H2S and H2O as well.
GENERON‘s CO2 removal membrane systems offer some of the highest hydrocarbon recoveries achievable (with membranes) due to our high (CO2 / CH4) selectivity membrane. The customized CO2 removal membrane systems are fabricated at our Houston, Texas facility while the membranes are fabricated at our Pittsburg, California facility. GENERON works directly with the client to provide the most efficient and most cost effective solution.
In a typical GENERON CO2 removal membrane system the feed gas is first filtered to remove any entrained liquids and aerosols. The gas then enters the GENERON® membrane modules. The CO2 as well as the H2S and H2O permeate preferably through the membrane. The non-permeated gas, mainly CH4, remains at pressure and is the pro duct gas.
Membrane CO2 and H2S Removal
In a typical GENERON® membrane gas dehydration system, the feed gas is filtered to remove any entrained liquids and aerosols. The gas then enters the GENERON® membrane modules, where the H2O, CO2 and H2S permeate through the membrane. The non-permeated gas, mainly CH4, remains at process pressure and is the product gas.
Pressure Swing Adsorption
There are several molecular sieves that process the physical characteristics to adsorb CO2 and H2S from natural gas. These desiccants are generally used for Pressure Swing Adsorption systems consisting of two or more towers. While one tower is on-line adsorbing sour gases from the feed gas, the other tower is being regenerated. The towers are switched just before the on-line tower becomes fully saturated with sour gases. This system has an advantage in that its molecular sieve is non-toxic, non-corrosive, and can be selective to the desired gases.
The GENERON® Advantage
- Extensive Experience – custom designed skids
- State-of-the-art Membrane – high recoveries
- Simple Solution – no moving parts, minimal maintenance
- Remote Operation – Minimal attention required, fully automated systems
- Minimal Losses – low HC losses
- No Chemicals – environmentally friendly
- Small Footprint – easily meet footprint requirements
- GENERON helps customers choose the right system regarding their gas application and provides custom designed units that meet customer specifications.
- Our ASME vessel shop (HVM) builds our columns and separators in house, which makes our quality, delivery time, and pricing extremely competitive.
- GENERON facilities are ISO 9000 Certified and follow NEC/CEC (USA & Canada), ATEX (Europe), AS/NZS (Australia), IECEx (Worldwide) requirements.
- Feed gas pressures up to 1,000 psig (69 barg)
- > 60 vol % CO2 in feed and >5% H2S in feed
- < 2% CO2 and <200 ppm H2S content in product
- >95% recovery of hydrocarbon gas
- > 90% removal of CO2
- Flow rates to 500 MMscfd
- Pipeline gas applications
- Biogas or digester gas
- Enhanced oil recovery (EOR)
- CO2 capture from stack / flue gas
- Fuel gas conditioning
- Syngas from steam-reforming of natural or biogas
- Methanol cracking
- H2-PSA purge gas
- Methanol Production
- Gasification plants (IGCC)